Customer Care

Complaints Handling Procedure for Complaints received before 1st April 2021

Information for Customers

We are committed to providing high quality customer service to you. We value complaints and use information from them to help us improve our services. If something goes wrong, or you are dissatisfied with our services, please tell us.

This information describes our complaints procedure and how to make a complaint. It also tells you about our service standards and what you can expect from us.

What is a complaint?

We regard a complaint as any expression of dissatisfaction about our action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by us or on our behalf.

What can I complain about?

You can complain about things like:

  • delays in responding to your inquiries and requests
  • failure to provide a service
  • our standard of service
  • treatment by or attitude of a member of staff
  • our failure to follow proper procedure.

If other procedures or rights of appeal can help you resolve your concerns, we will give information and advice to help you.

Who can complain?

Anyone can make a complaint to us, including the representative of someone who is dissatisfied with our service.

How do I complain?

You can complain in person, by phone, in writing via letter, email or comments card.

It is easier for us to resolve complaints if you make them quickly and directly to the service concerned. So please talk to a member of our staff at the service you are complaining about. They will try to resolve any problems on the spot.

When complaining, tell us:

  • your full name and address
  • as much as you can about the complaint
  • what has gone wrong
  • how you want us to resolve the matter.

Please contact us by email: or by post:

Jobs & Business Glasgow
Customer Care Team
Ladywell Business Centre
94 Duke Street
G4 0UW


How long do I have to make a complaint?

Normally, you must make your complaint within six months of:

  • the event you want to complain about, or
  • finding out that you have a reason to complain, but no longer than 12 months after the event itself.

In exceptional circumstances, we may be able to accept a complaint after the time limit. If you feel that the time limit should not apply to your complaint, please tell us why.

What happens when I have complained?

Our complaints procedure has two stages:

Stage one – front line resolution

We aim to resolve complaints quickly and close to where we provided the service. This could mean an on-the-spot apology and explanation if something has clearly gone wrong and immediate action to resolve the problem. We will give you our decision at stage one, in five working days or less, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

If we can’t resolve your complaint at this stage, we will explain why and tell you what you can do next. We might suggest that you take your complaint to stage two. You may choose to do this immediately or sometime after you get our initial decisions.

Stage two – investigation

Stage two deals with two types of complaint: those that have not been resolved at stage one and those that are complex and require a detailed investigation.

When using stage two we will:

  • acknowledge receipt of your complaint within five working days
  • discuss your complaint with you to understand why you remain dissatisfied and what outcome you are looking for
  • give you a full response to the complaint as soon as possible and within twenty working days.

If our investigation will take longer than twenty working days, we will tell you. We will agree revised time limits with you and keep you updated on progress.

What if I’m still dissatisfied?

After we have fully investigated, if you are still dissatisfied with our decision or the way we dealt with your complaint, you can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) to look at it.

The SPSO  cannot normally look at:

  • a complaint that has not completed our complaints procedure (so please make sure it has done so before contacting the SPSO)
  • events that happened, or that you became aware of, more than a year ago
  • a matter that has been, or is being, considered in court.

How to contact SPSO:

Call us

Freephone 0800 377 7330 or call 0131 225 5300.

BSL users can call us via contactSCOTLAND-BSL, the online British Sign Language interpreting video relay service. Find out more on the contactSCOTLAND website.

In person
If you would like to visit us in person, you must arrange an appointment first by phoning 0800 377 7330.

Scottish Public Services Ombudsman
Bridgeside House
99 McDonald Road

We are open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 9am-5pm; Tuesday 10am-5pm.

We do not offer home visits as part of our investigation process.  However, we will make reasonable adjustments if deemed appropriate.

By post
Freepost SPSO

This is all you need to write on the envelope, and you don’t need to use a stamp.

0800 377 7331

Care Complaints

If your complaint relates to a care service we provide, you can choose whether to complain to us or the Care Inspectorate. You can find out more about their complaints procedure, or make a complaint, by contacting them.

The Care Inspectorate has several offices around Scotland. Please refer to:

Or contact:

Phone:  0845 600 9527
Fax:  01382 207 289

Getting help to make your complaint

We understand that you may be unable, or reluctant, to make a complaint yourself. We accept complaints from the representative of a person who is dissatisfied with our service. We can take complaints from a friend, relative, or an advocate, if you have given them your consent to complain for you.

You can find out about advocates in your area by contacting the Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance.

Scottish Independence Advocacy Alliance

Phone: 0131 260 5380
Fax: 0131 260 5381

We are committed to making our service easy to use for all members of the community. In line with our statutory equalities duties, we will always ensure that reasonable adjustments are made to help customers access and use our services. If you have trouble putting your complaint in writing, or want this information in another format, such as large font, or Braille, please tell us in person, contact us on 0141 274 3333.