We support Glasgow residents (houses in the Glasgow City Council boundary) who are thinking about, in process of, or who have very recently started up in business. Timescale is not a factor and we will work with you for as long as it takes to make your business dream a reality.
We offer 1-2-1 appointments to help you to build a robust business plan and source funding. Appointments are confidential and impartial and take place in numerous locations throughout Glasgow (such as Libraries, Community Centres and Housing Associations).
We will refer you to other appropriate network partners for additional support such as workshops, training and events.
We also provide aftercare to help you in your 1st year in business.
Writing a business plan is one of the most important tasks when establishing a business. It’s a way to collate all your ideas, check that the business will be financially viable, set goals and objectives and often it is a valuable tool for attracting funding. Often this can seem daunting but we have a team of advisers who will take you through this process step by step.
There is a lot to be said on keeping your expenditure down when starting a business. Spend as little as you can to start with.
Some questions to ask yourself:
- Do you need it? – Really think through every purchase you want to make and ask if it is essential. Do you need an office? Could you co-share and have a space within an existing business? Are there purchases that can wait? Differentiate between want and need.
- If you do really need equipment could it be better to rent or lease rather than buy immediately?
- Negotiate and shop around – everything is negotiable. Always ask for a discount when you buy things.
Sources of Finance
We work closely with a range of enterprise support agencies to support you in applying for grants and loans to help get your business off the ground. Our team of advisers will help you identify the funding required and support you in the application process. You may also be eligible for our own Jobs & Business Glasgow Start-Up Funding.
Sustain and grow your business
Running a new business is an exciting challenge. During this time there’s a lot to do and remember. Jobs & Business Glasgow’s Enterprise Team offer a free aftercare service to all businesses completing their start up process with us. Whether it is assistance with taking on staff, moving from home working into premises, preparing for tax returns or talking through ideas, the aftercare team can help. Businesses can access
- Free office space
- Signposting and advice on grants and funding for growth and employing staff
- Free networking events
- One to one appointments with an adviser to help with moving into premises or recruiting staff
- Free legally checked business documents including contracts of employment, HR policies, Terms & Conditions etc.